HEDWORTH LANE Boldon Colliery, Church of Saint Nicholas - GV II Parish church. 1882. Ashlar; roof of flat tiles with tile-hung belfry at west end surmounted by small lead-covered spire. Nave and north aisle of 4 bays, chancel 2 bays, lady chapel on south side of chancel. Windows and arcades decorated. East window 5-light stained glass, west window 3-light, all others 2-light plain leaded glass. Built, some 20 years after the sinking of the shafts at the colliery, to serve the new community.