Ebenezer Church

 

Notes by Pat

  1.  The church was opened in 1895 as Park Methodist in the Jarrow and Hebburn Circuit – Wesleyan
  2. It closed in September 2014 as Hedworth Lane Methodist Church in South Shields Circuit - it was formed in 1967 following the merger with the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Church which was closed because of damage to their building.
  3. Served Boldon Colliery Village in so many ways.
  4. A strong Sunday School for many years with activities such as Nativity plays.
  5. A very strong church in music, sacred and secular – wonderful caring work by choir members and leaders.  Cantatas at Easter and Christmas.  Candle-lit Carol services.  These were very well supported by the people of the village.
  6. Sadly the membership declined and with financial problems the church was forced to close with members now attending churches in East Boldon and Harton, South Shields.
  7. The church was noted for its excellent Autumn Fairs for which members worked throughout the year, raising almost £1,000 most years

 Many memories will be treasured by those of us who have been part of the church family from childhood.  Sunday School Anniversaries, children reciting poems and verses from Scripture, singing special hymns in Village Street on Sunday mornings and joined with other churches to sing in the village on Good Fridays.

Unfortunately we do not have any photographs of the building so if you have any please send them to The Boldons History Society we meet at The Grey Horse, Front Street on the last Tuesday of each month excepting December or email them to History@theboldons.co.uk


Make a Free Website with Yola.